HILLBURN, N.Y. – The St. Thomas Aquinas College Sprint Football team closed out their 2019 season, falling to Chestnut Hill College, 32-19 on Saturday evening at the Torne Vallley Sports Complex.
STAC (2-5, 2-2 CSFL North) finishes 1-3 at home this season. The Spartans accumulated 199 yards of total offense with 130 coming through the air and 69 yards on the ground. On the other side, the Griffins (5-2, 2-2 CSFL South) had 273 yards of total offense.
Leading the defensive effort was Edward Ortiz, who registered 1.0 sack for a total loss of 8 yards in addition to picking up a team-leading 8 tackles in the contest.
STAC HIGHLIGHTS AND GAME NOTES
- Spartans honored their lone senior Malyk Michel in festivities prior to the contest.
- Quarterback Kiel McKenzie went 19-for-28 for 218 yards and threw 2 touchdowns and 2 interceptions.
- Quarterback Matt Yuvienco went 2-for-3 for 18 yards and threw a touchdown and an interception.
- Dwayne Moore had 7 rushes for 22 yards and 3 receptions for 67 yards and a score.
- Jimmy English had 4 receptions for 60 yards and a touchdown.
- Matthew Ehret has 2 receptions for 8 yards and a TD.
- Edward Ortiz had 8 tackles and a sack.
- Daniel Grossman recorded 7 tackles, a sack and 2 forced fumbles.
- Sheriffh Bittaye, Malyk Michel and Jimmy English each pick up an interception in the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Chestnut Hill opened the scoring with 14:39 remaining in the opening quarter on a 68-yard pass from Michael Marino to Domoree Hill that put the Griffins ahead 8-0.
- The Griffins extended their lead to 10-0 on Safety as a result of a Godson Nartey fumble in the end zone at 6:37.
- On the ensuing kickoff, Chestnut Hill makes it 18-0, when Terrell Bush runs it back 72 yards for the score.
- St. Thomas Aquinas gets on the scoreboard as a result of a Kiel McKenie 2-yard pass to Matthew Ehret to make it 18-6.
- Chestnut Hill added to its lead when Michael Marino connected with Akeem Brown on a 10-yard touchdown catch that gave the Griffins the 24-6 advantage.
- STAC would make it 24-12 with just over three and a half minutes remaining in the quarter, as Kiel McKenzie would hook up with Dwayne Moore on a 57-yard strike for the score.
- With 7:12 left in the contest, St. Thomas Aquinas would cut the deficit to five points, when Jimmy English would take a 13-yard pass from Matt Yuvienco to the house to make it 24-19.
- Unfortunately, Chestnut Hill would score one more time, as Sef Penson would make it 32-19 on a 2-yard rush for the TD with just over two minutes remaining in the contest.