WEST HEMPSTEAD, NY – Posting their first shut out since the 2015 season, the St. Thomas Aquinas College women’s tennis team defeated ECC opponent Molloy College 9-0 on Saturday.
Nyenyeri Kanefu ’18 (Rutherford, NJ) and Cassandra Rohr ’21 (Mallorca, Spain) teamd up at second doubles to win 8-1 to take the first point for the Spartans. Katarina Lopez ’20 (New City, NY) and Carolyn Kopf ’18 (Garnerville, NY) followed suit with an 8-1 win at third doubles, while Lovisa Engstrand ’21 (Stockholm, Sweden) and Sara O’Brien ’18 (Orangeburg, NY) paired for their third straight win at first doubles.
In singles action, Rohr would take a point for STAC at the number two spot with a 6-1, 6-0 win. Kopf would clinch the match for the Lady Spartans with her 6-1, 6-1 victory at sixth singles. The senior played a cerebral game, alternating between quick winners and long points. Engstrand won her third singles match in a row with her 6-0, 6-0 score at third singles, while Lopez and O’Brien took care of business with wins at fourth and fifth singles, respectively.
The closest match of the day was at first singles, where Kanefu avenged a loss to her opponent a year ago, this time with a 6-4, 6-3 advantage.
Next up for STAC are two road matches. On Wednesday, they travel with the men’s team to take on West Chester University in Pennsylvania, and on Thursday they take on University of the Sciences.
St. Thomas Aquinas 9, Molloy 0
1. Engstrand/O’Brien (STAC) def. le Gupil-Maier/Gaimaro (MC), 8-4
2. Kanefu/Rohr (STAC) def. Scali/D. Bloecker (MC), 8-1
3. Lopez/Kopf (STAC) def. S. Bloecker/Catterson (MC), 8-1
1. Nyenyeri Kanefu (STAC) def. Montaine le Gupil-Maier (MC), 6-4, 6-3
2. Cassandra Rohr (STAC) def. Amanda Gaimaro (MC), 6-1, 6-0
3. Lovisa Engstrand (STAC) def. Megan Scali (MC), 6-0, 6-0
4. Katarina Lopez (STAC) def. Danielle Bloecker (MC), 6-2, 6-0
5. Sara O’Brien (STAC) def. Samantha Bloecker (MC), 8-0
6. Carolyn Kopf (STAC) def. Christie Catterson (MC), 6-1, 6-1
Order of Play: Doubles (2, 3, 1) Singles (2, 6*, 3, 4, 5, 1)