PHILADELPHIA, PA – The St. Thomas Aquinas College men’s tennis team gutted out a tough 5-4 victory on the road Thursday. Facing a 4-2 deficit, the Spartans won at second, third, and first singles, respectively, to take the win. Aaron Stahl ’18 (Dusseldorf, Germany) made it a 4-3 gap with his win at second singles, while fellow senior Andreu Ferragut ’18 (Mallorca, Spain) won a third set point at third singles. Jakob Ljungberg ’21 (Stockholm, Sweden) won in the third set as well at first singles to clinch the match for the visitors.
Stahl and countryman Paul Voigt ’21 (Cologne, Germany) got the Spartans on the board, taking the lone doubles point in the third slot. The pair are now 3-1 in dual matches on the year. Voigt also picked up at win at fifth singles as he and Stahl were both double winners on the day.
With his singles victory, Ferragut set a new standard for Spartan tennis, setting career records for singles wins with 50 and overall combined wins with 89. Both marks bested Javier Munoz ’17, who set the previous marks in April of 2017. Ferragut is also tied with Munoz for career doubles wins with 39. St. Thomas Aquinas moves to 3-1 on the season, with their next match tentatively slated for Monday, October 9, weather pending.
St. Thomas Aquinas 5, Jefferson 4
1. Haedicke/Marcel (JU) def. Ljungberg/Taplin (STAC), 8-6
2. Molina/Trifoi (JU) def. Ferragut/Hasicevic (STAC), 8-5
3. Stahl/Voigt (STAC) def. Sison/Atri (JU), 8-4
1. Jakob Ljungberg (STAC) def. Oskar Haedicke (JU), 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Aaron Stahl (STAC) def. Luis Molina (JU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Andreu Ferragut (STAC) def. Liviu Trifoi (JU), 0-6, 6-0, 6-3
4. Joao Marcel (JU) def. Enej Hasicevic (STAC), 6-1, 6-0
5. Paul Voigt (STAC) def. Jacobo Atri (JU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Joseph Sison (JU) def. Luke Taplin (STAC), 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: Doubles: 2, 1, 3 Singles: 6, 4, 5, 2, 3, 1*
St. Thomas Aquinas: 3-1