St. Thomas Aquinas College Men's Basketball player Justin Reyes has been named a finalist for the Clarence "Bevo" Francis Award on Saturday.
The award is presented annually to the player who has had the finest overall season within Small College Basketball. Season statistics and individual achievements, awards, personal character and team achievements are all taken into consideration when deciding the ultimate award winner. This is an incredibly prestigious award, as the award will only be given to one player within Small College Basketball per season.
Reyes, the red-shirt junior guard/forward from Haverhill, Mass., helped lead the Spartans to a 28-6 overall record, which included the program's third consecutive ECC Regular Season title, a second consecutive ECC Tournament crown, their first-ever NCAA Division II East Region Championship and subsequently, an inaugural appearance in the NCAA Division II Men's Basketball Elite Eight.
Justin played in 32 contests for St. Thomas Aquinas College, averaging 20.6 points per game, 9.3 rebounds per game, 2.8 assists per game, 2.1 steals per game and 1.5 blocks per game, while shooting 62.2% from the field and 69.7% from the free-throw line.
The awards and accolades were plentiful for Justin Reyes in the 2016-2017 season, including:
- Sporting News Division II Small College Preseason All-American 2nd Team Selection
- On December 3rd versus Molloy College, Reyes reached the 1,000 career point milestone, enroute to scoring 660 total points on the season
- ECC Player of the Week on 11/28, 12/12, 12/20 & 1/9
- Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association Division II Player of the Week on 12/13
- ECC Player of the Year & All-Conference 1st Team Selection
- ECC All-Tournament Team Selection
- DIICCA All-East Region 1st Team Selection
- DIICCA All-American 2nd Team Selection
- NCAA Division II East Region Most Outstanding Player of the Tournament & All-Tournament Team Selection
- NABC Division II All-East District 1st Team Selection
- NABC Division II All-American Team Selection
- Basketball Times Division II All-American 1st Team Selection
- Division II Bulletin All-American 2nd Team Selection
- Courtside Newspaper Division II Player of the Year & All-American Team Selection
- Bevo Francis Award Finalist
Along with Reyes, there are nine additional finalists in the running for the Bevo Francis Award, which was narrowed down by the committee from an original list of 100 players in mid-January. They are:
Matt Bingaya, Fairmont State
Justin Reyes, St. Thomas Aquinas
Warren Hall, Warner
Kyle Steigenga, Cornerstone
Joey Flannery, Babson
Ty Sabin, Ripon
Dalarian Williams, Life
Dustin Sleva, Shippensburg
Michael Smith, Cal Baptist
Justin Pitts, NW Missouri State
This elite group was chosen from over 1,100 colleges and universities across the country and the winner of the Bevo Francis Award will be officially announced on Monday, April 3rd.
Click here to see finalists and award winner on Monday, April 3rd.
Click here to see finalists highlight video package.